Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Sewing Meme

I saw this sewing machine meme over at Sew, Mama, Sew! and I figured I'd do it. Some of you reading this are crafty so maybe you'll play along.





What brand and model do you have? 
Kenmore Drop-In Bobbin Sewing Machine - Model #18221 (available at Sears)

How long have you had it? 
I've had this machine for less than a year. I bought it as an upgrade from my Brother.

How much does that machine cost (approximately)? 
$179, but it it also on sale for $129 - 159 every time there's a holiday. 


What types of things do you sew (i.e. quilting, clothing, handbags, home dec projects, etc.)? 
I make skirts, belly dancing related pieces, and stupid stuffed monsters &
stuff for my son. 


How much do you sew? How much wear and tear does the machine get?
I go weeks without sewing then sew like crazy for like a week.


Do you like/love/hate your machine? Are you ambivalent? Passionate? Does she have a name?
My machine is the shiz and I love it. It does SO much more than I need it to and that's awesome. I have a lot of room to grow with it.


What features does your machine have that work well for you?
It's a beast and works really well with thick & difficult fabric. The button-hole maker thingy is a 1-step process. The serger function is great as well. 


Is there anything that drives you nuts about your machine?
I bought a Distinctive [brand] ruffler foot but it isn't working as it should. That's probably my faildom.



Do you have a great story to share about your machine (i.e., Found it under the Christmas tree? Dropped it on the kitchen floor? Sewed your fingernail to your zipper?, Got it from your Great Grandma?, etc.!)? We want to hear it!
No :-(


Would you recommend the machine to others? Why?
Heck yes.


What factors do you think are important to consider when looking for a new machine?
I was going to buy a new computerized Singer or Janome machine. Then I realized they use a LOT of plastic parts and are expensive to repair because of the fickle nature of computers. Digital vs. Analog often leads to the latter being the victor for me. Oh and Kenmore machines are really Janome machines manufactured specifically for release at Sears stores. Kenmore is their house brand name. So this means I can take my machine to ANY Sears for service whereas with other brands I'd have to ship it or take it to a more expensive specialty repair center. 


Do you have a dream machine? 
Not really. My machine has both serging and embroidery functions, but I would still like to have separate machines for each. 

2 comments:

  1. hmmm didn't know kenmore made sewing machines! o_O *SHOCK* hheheeh ^_^ wow yours does sergin too!! maybe I need to get the same sewing machine!

    you've inspired me to sew now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has a two-needle function as well as the serging function so it's pretty damned good! Go to the sears website. Mine is the white one with red accents. I will edit my post with a photo and link ASAP.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails